A place to turn to, A place to learn, A place to change.
Shalom was founded in 1973 by Sister Madeleine Boyd, SND de Namur. Shalom began as a high school-based drug and alcohol abuse prevention program with a grant from the City of Philadelphia’s Coordinating Office for Drug and Alcohol Abuse Programs. In the provision of these prevention services, an overwhelming need for intervention services grew. Expansion and new initiative funding also broadened the scope and target population of Shalom’s services over the years.
Peace in Our Hearts – Peace in Our Homes – Peace in Our Schools
Shalom, Inc. a non-profit corporation strives to empower knowledge and assistance in prevention, intervention, and treatment of substance abuse and mental health issues. Shalom offers support and treatment for children and adults facing domestic issues, child abuse, sexual abuse, gambling addiction, alcohol abuse, eating disorders, peer problems, anger and violence. Shalom provides several comprehensive programs which aid in development and treatment for those who seek solace in varying environments.
Shalom has received several awards during our years of operation.
- NIDA - National Institute on Drug Abuse as a national model for replication (NIDA, 1975, 1977).
- Pennsylvania’s “Award of Excellence" (PA Dept. of Heath) 1986.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary’s Community Health Promotion Awards Program“Outstanding Achievement Award" (1986)
- Pennsylvania Department of Health’s Office of Drug and Alcohol Programs selected Shalom as its nomination for the national search for “Ten American Programs" to identify projects that “demonstrated attributes considered to be earmarks of effective prevention programming." (1987).
In 2004, Shalom Inc. received three honors.
- “Program of the Year" by the Pennsylvania Certification Board.
- Dr. Sandra Hart, Director of Shalom’s CounselingCenter, was given the Community Leadership Award by the Caron Foundation.
- The County and State Detective Association of Pennsylvania awarded “The Distinguished Service to Youth Award" to Shalom’s Founder and Executive Director, Sister Madeleine Boyd, SND de Namur.
Shalom Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3)nonsectarain organization.